This page will inform you of news that you need to know. Please also check the Activities and Events page for more detailed information on upcoming events. Please also subscribe to our District Cub Scout Newsletter and Boy Scout Newsletter.
New Adult Leadership position for units
A new adult leadership position has been established by BSA focused specifically on year-round recruiting of youth membership in their units .
The Unit Membership and Marketing Coordinator duties will include:
- Attend membership recruiting orientation;
- Work with district membership team to schedule year-round recruiting dates;
- Assisting their unit in preparing the program calendar, budget, and unit newsletter;
- After district confirmation, serve as unit liaison to specific local school and its principal for recruiting potential scouts;
- Coordinate their unit's year-round grass roots marketing (recruiting) program;
- Coordinate their unit's recruiting meetings, ensure completion of youth applications & fee collection, and ensure delivery of applications & fees to district.
This unique position should not be filled by a Scouter who is already wearing a "hat" (i.e. Unit Leader or Unit Committee Chair). The full position description is contained in THIS PDF FLYER.
Camp Card Fundraiser
A new fundraiser has been announced for the spring – “Camp Cards”. Camp Cards are essentially discount cards that Scouts will sell in order to pay for their Scouting activities. The sale will be very easy. More details will be forthcoming; however, here are a few highlights:
- Cards will sell for $5 a piece with $2.50 going to the Scout, and $2.50 supporting the Council
- Cards will have a one-time use discount with multi-use discounts that will allow the card to pay for itself.
- Current vendors include: Marsh, Papa John's, Dairy Queen, Firestone, Indiana Ice, and Steak 'n Shake.
This will be a great additional way to pay for summer camp, Philmont, or unit dues. To learn more and have the most up-to-date information visit the Camp Cards page on the Crossroads main site.
District Scouter Awards
The following awards were given at the NED Adult Recognition Dinner on Wednesday, February 12:
Silver Beaver: Jenny Mondy
District Award of Merit: Kimberly Wiggins
George Meany (AFL-CIO) Award: Phil Boother
Commissioner’s Green Jacket: Joe Carter
Commissioner’s Spark Plug: Randy Baskerville
Pack of the Year: Pack 282
Troop of the Year: Troop 88
Crew of the Year: Crew 317
Cubmaster of the Year: Chris Johns (P127)
Scoutmaster of the Year: Robert Siertle (T427)
Advisor of the Year: Angela Walker (C427)
Golden Spike: David Olson (P88), Scott Kelley (P88), Jeff Zapf (P127), Chris Pollock (P236), Blaine Paul (P282), Rosemary Coreggio (P427), Tony DeSimone (T88), Alicyn Swift (T236), Steve Kincade (T133), Mike Chambers (T276), Terry Prather (T276), Dennis Harlen (T427), Cathy Jern (C427), Jim Earl (NED), Dee Baskerville (NED), and Troop 133 (NED Spring Camporee).