The Sakima District is a geographical area of the Crossroads of America Council, determined by the council executive board. District leaders mobilize resources to ensure the growth and success of units within the district's territory.
All districts are responsible for carrying out four standard functions: membership, finance, program, and unit service.
- The membership function strives for growth through the organization of new Scouting units and growth through new members joining existing units.
- The finance function ensures that the district provides its fair share of funds to the total council operating budget.
- The program function concentrates on helping Scouting units with camp promotion; special activities, including community service; training adult volunteers; and youth advancement and recognition.
- The unit service function provides direct coaching and consultation by district volunteers for unit adults to help ensure the success of every Scouting unit.
- The membership, finance, and program functions are carried out by members of the district committee. The unit service function is carried out by the commissioner staff.