Popcorn Safety Tips
- Scouts should always work in pairs, or an adult should accompany sellers.
- Always walk on the sidewalk and driveway, not through the yard.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash.
- Never enter anyone's house without an adult.
- Sell during daylight hours.
- Be courteous and polite. Smile and introduce yourself.
- Wear your Scout uniform. This provides instant credibility since it is highly recognizable. Most people have a positive response to a Scout uniform and will be supportive.
- Be informed. Know the various products sold, when it will be delivered and how it benefits Scouts.
- When selling - ask if someone would like to support Scouting, not if they would like to buy popcorn. We are "selling" the Scouting program.
Ask your unit marketing chair to arrange for publicity of your sale.
- Newspaper - Ask your community paper to run a feature story, highlighting uniformed Scouts and sale information.
- Radio - Have a uniformed Scout and leader visit the local radio station and offer sample products to on-air announcer. Take along a news release with sale information.
- Community calendars - Obtain permission to have information about your unit's sale included in the fall edition.
- Business signage - Ask businesses with their own changeable signage to promote the sale.
- Posters and Banners - Place outside local businesses to promote your sale.
- Questions about publicity? Contact Emily Elliott, council PR coordinator, at email@example.com.